Sunday, March 15, 2009

We Like Purple!

I've been thinking about pink and blue these days, about hearing other parents deal with pink and blue from prenatal days, and thinking about the kind of world we hope for our children.

Gender stereotyping, whether we enjoy it or resist it, I think, is all about the kinds of choices we allow our kids to envision for themselves. I dream in purple for our baby - all the choices laid out for the sampling. I think about my own childhood, and my friends' - how we grew up with the '70's album "Free to Be You and Me" - quite possibly the best anti-gender stereotyping, positive brainwashing out there (William wants a Doll, Don't dress your cat in an apron just cause she's learning to bake, Daddies are People, Mommies are People, It's alright to cry...and more!). I think about Dad encouraging me to be pre-med, and Mom reminding me about the power of creativity to draw together community. I remember Scouting, where we learned to do everything from wilderness survival and CPR to making healthy baby food, budgeting a grocery list, and changing our own flat tires. I feel lucky that we have moved forward in so many ways - Hillary and Obama, are you listening? ;) And yet, the baby clothes and toy designers just haven't caught up yet. Oh, well. I am thrilled to see that children's book authors and illustrators
are on the forefront of opening up all possibilities for our kids - even kids with two moms or two dads. One favorite: "Pugdog" - hilarious and wonderful. Owner of pug puppy assumes she's a he, plays all the wild doggy games possible, vet brings to light Pugdog's a girl, she gets forced into frills and nail polish...and is very unhappy, until Daddy has a revelation. Check it out!

Here's to purple, here's to nurturing the whole boy, the whole girl, the whole person.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for purple!

    Bean will be sooo lucky to know unconditional love and acceptance by his/her two amazing moms.

    Oh man, I can't wait to buy some good books for the Bean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching for Boy doll clothes or a kitchen set.. I'll email you a picture of the one we finally found.. that is not pink! Why can't boys pretend to have babies to take care of or cook?!

    ReplyDelete