Ah, yes.
Do you know what that sound is, Highness? Those are the shrieking eels...
Oh... sorry. Wrong story.
So M. had been in labor for 47 3/4 hours, she was finally dilated, and the room was full of people. Because of the epidural, she couldn't feel the contractions, so we had to wait until one showed up on the monitor for her to push. Made for some interesting breaks in the action. But it only too two big pushes, and out he came, our little boy. Specifically, our little boy blue. The OB asked if I wanted to cut the cord, and as I moved down I noticed something odd about the umbilical cord, but didn't think much beyond cutting. (Note: by this point, he hadn't made a peep.) Someone got him over to the warming pad and the neonatologist and the nursery nurse spent several eternal minutes suctioning and rubbing him. He pinked up pretty quickly, but never did much more than whimper. Talk about the longest couple minutes of our lives. Finally, we got to hold him, not for nearly long enough, but still... at that point, we knew it would all be okay.
During the pinking of the boy, the OB was getting M. stitched up and put back together. Finally, he held up the umbilical cord. "I think this might be the reason you went into early labor," he said, and we saw a perfect single knot, loosely tied, in the cord. A true knot, the doctor said, and only the second one he'd ever seen. Talented kid, our Asa, and a sailor born, apparently.
After just a few minutes, Asa and I went up with the nurse to the nursery, stopping briefly in the waiting room to see Grandma, Poppy and Uncle Spaghetti. They cried and cooed, and remarked on the amazing similarities to M.'s birth - right down to the weight, as she was also 5lbs 13oz.
By morning, Asa was in the NICU, because his blood sugar was so low. He had an IV, and very soon thereafter, a gavage tube - after two days in labor, he was just too tired to eat.
So here's our Bean, our adorable little Asa. He didn't come where or when we'd planned it, but he's here and we couldn't be happier.
So adorable! Can't wait to meet him. (And someone take the camera for just a second, and get a picture of Eliza, will you?)
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad to hear that Asa and you both are doing well. He is beautiful! From the moment we got the email from Aunt Kate telling us that Marcey's water had broken you were all in our thoughts and prayers. Many more prayers and good wishes are sent from your family in West Virginia!
ReplyDeleteWe've got the sweetest, cutest grandson ever... thanks, moms... can't wait to hold our little Asa!
ReplyDeleteWhat a story! What a beautiful baby! What amazing moms! Congratulations to all of you. And thank you for taking the time to share the many details of this journey with all of us viathis blog. (Special thanks to the aunties for that great video, too!) Growth, health and deep peace to all of you. Kerry
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited and so wish I was there. But, please remember that this will not be the first time Asa runs amok with your plans ;) He is beautiful and I can't wait to see him also. Maybe in the Fall???
ReplyDeleteWow, wow, wow. Way to go there, Mama. You are one trooper! I'm so proud of you. Of both of you. Heck, of all three of you! (The part about little boy blue had me worried there!!)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure for a while it felt much like an epic journey worthy of The Princess Bride for you two! (Minus the Rats Of Unusual Size, I hope.) ;)
I'm so glad they had a bili blanket for you to be able to hold him. SO much more family-friendly than having to put him in an incubator alone for so long. That firefly shot is too cute!
Asa, your mamas and family and loved ones are going to want to hold you forever! We're so glad you're here, even though it wasn't when everyone expected!
Actually, Mama V, it was thinking about Lucas' birth story that got me through those first few, rather blue, moments. I seem to recall that his arrival in the world had a moment or two of anxiety...
ReplyDeleteThank you all for the comments, love, and support. We are so very lucky, in so many ways.
Oh Mummabear, that moment will always stay with me, as I'm sure it will with you, too. Birth: The Everyday Miracle. Indeed!
ReplyDelete