Friday, April 17, 2009

What are you going to do...

...to end the silence?

Today is GLSEN's Day of Silence. In honor of all who have had to live in silence, notably the silence of the closet, students around the nation are refusing to speak all day, to bring awareness to both themselves and others of what such silence might mean. There are days when I feel incredibly lucky, when I look around at my own home state, at Connecticut, Vermont, and Iowa.

Then I read about the persistent bullying in schools, rooted in a policing of "proper" gender roles. I hear friends talk about the response they get in playgrounds, when their sons are seen playing with dolls ("You need to beat him.") I get reminded about the kids we've lost to the silence. I hear the virulent rhetoric of the Yes on 8 campaign, and similar groups forming in Iowa, New Jersey, New York... I hear the subtle twists of language in the Day of Truth campaign. And I ask myself, and I ask you all:

What are we going to do?

3 comments:

  1. Today's blog is amazing, and very moving!! I'm so proud of you both for your eloquence, and for standing firm in your convictions!! You are true symbols of the respect and dignity that should be afforded all people!! BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll do whatever we have to do... because we must. But we'll do it lovingly, laughingly; because it's important to remind the world that the battle for gay marriage is about LOVE, and equality under the law. The weapons of hate and fear are those of the other side... those so-called Christians of the far right who have cast God in their own hateful image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Great post. My friend and ex-instructor at Berkeley CJ Pascoe is quoted in the Warner article. CJ and her spouse Megan have an adorable kid named Spencer...I often think that you all should know each other.

    ReplyDelete