Monday, January 12, 2009

Week 5

So counting weeks turns out to be more complicated than I would have thought. Most medical practitioners begin their count before a woman could possibly have been pregnant - on the first day of their last period. Apparently, most women aren't obsessive about knowing what happens on every single day of their cycle - who knew? - but they tend to remember the inconvenience of their period. Fair enough, I suppose. So although we know with the closest possible thing to precision when the Bean was conceived, that's not the day on which the count begins. In fact, Bean didn't enter the picture until Marcey was two weeks pregnant, according to current medical counting.

And then we pick up a "what happens while you're pregnant" book. Because they're essentially writing from the embryo/fetus/baby's point of view, their count begins at conception. So we're in a strange place of semi-time-travel, simultaneously in week 3 and week 5.

In other news, Marcey told our Primary Care doc today. Can I just say again how much I adore our doctor? After she finished jumping up and down, and making Marcey promise frequent updates, and laughing that her presence and well-wishes had actually helped us (we last saw her right about the time we conceived), she gave Marcey a whole bunch of good advice and reassurance. So we feel wonderfully lucky and well-cared-for.

No comments:

Post a Comment