The other night, I had to do some work so M. put Asa to bed. After a little bit, I heard totally hysterical screaming from his room. Not the best bedtime ever. Several minutes later, screaming only slightly abated, M reappeared in the living room.
Me: My turn?
Her: You betcha.
So off I went to the screaming, crying toddler, now standing in the kitchen, and scooped him up.
Me: What's up?
Him: (puts head on my shoulder, thumb in mouth, and starts playing with my hair.
Me: Are you tired?
Him: (around thumb) Yes.
Me: Are you ready for bed?
Him: Yes.
Me: So what's with the crying?
Him: ...
Me: You know you're being a little ridiculous, don't you?
Him: Yes.
Me: So I can tuck you in now?
Him: Yes.
Me: Gonna tell me what was up with the shrieking?
Him: It not shrieking. It screaming.
Me: Right, sorry. (Put him down, pull up the covers, adjust the lovies.) Are you okay now?
Him: I wanted water, Mommy gave me water. I don't want water now.
Me: So you're ready to go to sleep?
Him: Yes.
Me: Good night, then. I love you.
Him: Good night, Mummy.
Apart from one call for another sip of water, he's been quiet.
Is there anyone out there who can explain what just happened without recourse to demon possession or the supernatural?
I don't know why you're ruling out demons... he's 2+, after all... or, perhaps I should say, "he's under 25, still living at home, not fully able to cope". Blaming a demon beats the heck out of blaming the kid for malice aforethought. It's the inexplicable, coming flat up against adult need to reason... go with Rowling. She who created the malicious house elf... imagine if she'd enlarged on far younger characters, and their inability to communicate, or even understand their own motivations. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to deal with the out of control, but dearly loved progeny... blame the damn demon!
ReplyDeleteMy "prove you're not a robot" was Impit Rubitor. Gotta be Latin for something!
ReplyDelete