Winter in New England means several things. Winter in general means several things, but the extra-added layer of bitter cold has put us in a space that isn't just dark and heading into Christmas (on which more in a moment), but also mostly indoors. Not that we don't ever go outside anymore - we even played on the playground this morning (and I would so have pictures for you all except that my cell phone had died without my having noticed) - but it does mean that it takes a lot longer to get there.
Note: this was taken when we got home from our morning outing. If it had been taken when I'd first gotten him into the coat-mittens-boots-hat ensemble, it would have been a video of a screaming, crying, flailing child and I'd have been hauled in by DSS. The irony, of course, being that I'm actually doing my child a favor by covering him up and keeping him warm on this 25°day. 25° now, mid-morning, when the sun is out, mind you. Not at 9am when we left the house and it was flurrying. Either way, it takes a lot to get us to leave the house anymore.
And so, on some level, I understand the parents that we see in all those indoor activities - playgroups and reading groups and indoor children's activity centers. I understand not wanting to deal with screaming and tears and the very real possibility of getting decked in the face and having your glasses go flying across the room.
What I don't understand is the mother I saw today who had her little girl - about Asa's age - out in Crocs. Seriously? Crocs and dainty ankle socks? Sneakers - that's cool, I almost had Asa in his sneakers today. But Crocs? I also don't understand the lack of hats and mittens. Asa hates both with a passion unrivaled by anything I've ever seen. But he wears both whenever I do, and after the first few minutes he copes perfectly well.
At some point, I'm pretty sure it comes down to this: we adults, we're the parents. Our not-even-two-year-olds? Yeah, they're not in charge. Asa, for one, is not old enough to understand how uncomfortable he would be if outside in this weather without his warm clothes; I have serious doubts that any of his contemporaries are much more advanced in that realm. Which is why we adults are around - to be the responsible ones.
Or not, apparently. In winter weather - or at Christmas, from what I can tell - the kids are in charge. I won't even go into the gifts that some of Asa's fellow not-yet-twos are going to be receiving from Santa this year. I'm pretty sure that they won't actually notice, and will love the huge gifts more for the equally huge boxes and amounts of wrapping paper... and, if they're really lucky, packing peanuts!
I know I sound Grinchy, but I find it heartbreaking that so many parents - people I see on a regular basis, even - have abdicated adult responsibility. That so many people have caved to their kids who don't like to wear hats or mittens; have caved to the cultural myth that the child who doesn't have the newest, coolest gadget/toy/experience is never going to go to Harvard.
And now I think I'll go spend a little time with my son, maybe to read Brown Bear (since he seems to have it in his hand). Not to drill him on his colors, as a couple mothers I've talked to recently admit to doing with their 16-month-olds - that's a post for another day. Just to snuggle him close and do something we both enjoy... inside. And then maybe we can watch the snow fall.
As someone who has been working with high schoolers since he stopped being one (7 years? Really, 7 years?)... that whole 'we adults, we're the parents' thing?
ReplyDeleteThe ones who didn't get it when the kids were infants and toddlers *still* don't get it after 10 or 12 years or 15 years.
---
On a less frustrating note.. I know a couple Uncles looking forward to some snuggley reading time if one little boy can fit us in his schedule.
Unfortunately, it is a self perpetuating situation. And, it's possibly tied into women's lib, the rise of the two income family... my generation began this "oh, we don't spend enough time... so let's make up for it" thing... and it gets worse as it goes along, as generations do not have role models. BTW... we women should not beat ourselves up... men have always done this. Daddies are, in recent history, more permissive than Moms. Unfortunately, Moms now play into it too. No, kid is not in charge. If kid is in charge at 2, kid will be in charge more than ever at 12, and at 14, and at 18... and out of control, because he NEEDS someone to set limits.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Asa has firm, commited mothers, and loving, cuddling uncles!
I remember Mom as being a relaxed parent EXCEPT, when she said "Jump" we were trained to ask "How high" after we were in the air...
ReplyDeleteMany years later and asking about this, she told us the story of being a small child, during the depression. She and her older brother and younger sister -- all elementary age or younger, were living in the woods, in an abandoned hotel with their parents and one of their father's lumber crews, logging trees.
Their mom cooked for everybody. One day a fire started in the building. Gramma Kate (their Mom) led them out of sight of the building, lined them up, sitting on a fallen log, and said "Do NOT move until a grownup comes to get you" She then rushed off to help the men fight the fire.
The fire fighting efforts were successful, but took several hours. The kids, lined up on their log, could hear a little bit of what was going on. Fortunately, they were smart enough to realize that they were in a potential life and death situation. All of them, including, amazingly, Trine (the younger sister and wild child), stayed put.
Needless to say, this had a transforming effect on Mom, who approached child raising with the vivid memory of a time when following directions saved the lives of three small kids.
She was kind, she was fair, when she had time she would explain to us why... BUT, ALWAYS, it was expected that we would do what we were told -- at that moment, no questions asked.
Yes, Tink, and I do think that's part of the flip side of the coin. Kids need to be able to trust that their parents aren't being capricious, no matter how it might seem in the moment.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for that story - I never heard it from either Speck or your mom.
I never heard it either... but it certainly fits all that I've heard, and I'm so proud to carry Kate Selover Norton's name.
ReplyDeleteMy own favorite "how high, ma'am?" story is of my mom, "Gramma Baker". I was maybe 5... and asked her "why do you never tell me to wait until my father gets home?". She smiled as she said "just what is it that you think I can't handle?"
it reminds me of a little southern californian, who never, ever wanted to wear winter gear in Paris... our technique: going out with everything and getting her dressed outside... then she would realized by herself that otherwise life would have been really tough... The same little girl would scream anyway at the mere mention of "long sleeve Tshirt"... At 9 and a half it is better, but she asked me yesterday how cold it was in Paris, and if I really had to dress with layers... (I'm just coming back from Paris, where it has been mostly snowing...) So it will pass, but some notions are hard to grasp..
ReplyDeleteAs for the rest, fully agree... Also, it is nice to cater to real desires on the part of the child... And that will come... right now, presence, and a few well chosen toys that help the imagination, and help to tell stories are the best!
from cold Los Angeles...
b
Needless to say, Mom also dealt with everything herself... ;-)
ReplyDeleteI don't think Daddy ever disciplined us unless everybody was in the car driving to Washington PA LOLOL
Uh yeah... car trips... or if something I said or did just happened to get to him. To this day, if I'm out in public and a baritone voice barks "YOUNG LADY!!!" I turn, and cower!
ReplyDelete