Saturday, June 19, 2010

Just a Picture 6/19/10

Pensive boy on the Red Line, watching the world go past.

This was actually one of his rare thoughtful moments during the trip; very quickly he began looking at the people on the train - smiling and making friends.  And it made me pensive, in turn; what would the world be like if we were willing to look openly, and smile, at all whom we encountered?  What would the world be like if we could look upon one another with the eyes of childhood - without cynicism or judgment - and be willing to risk ourselves in a fully open smile?

We might just have a lot to learn from a boy not ten months old.

5 comments:

  1. Didn't Asa turn 10 mos. old on the 15th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did turn ten months already, but hadn't when this picture was taken. This was one of the posts scheduled to appear when we weren't supposed to have internet access.

    And I get where you're coming from, Jen, but I hesitate to suggest that the smiles of the Southerners are without judgment or cynicism, as Asa's is. There's just a deeper veneer of politeness that we northerners often don't bother with. Being among that latter group myself, I have to admit that I don't mind the honesty of this approach... most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember, when we were "college shopping", your amazement at the long conversation I enjoyed with the campus parking lot attendant, mostly about Forbes Field? It's not JUST southerners, although they can surely curse more charmingly than any others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i suspect you haven't known, but i have been keeping up with asa's life pretty diligently through your blog. i LOVE dropping by and seeing how he is growing and reading your lovely musings on motherhood! i hope to see you all in the flesh over the summer! :) -katrina

    ReplyDelete