Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Growing a Bean

We're about halfway through week nine. Bean is somewhere between an 1 1/2 - 2 inches long (from top of head to tailbone - called the Crown-Rump length). Most major organs are in place, although still developing. The heart has four distinct chambers. Fingers and toes are developing and differentiating, and eyelids protect Bean's new eyes, which already have irises.

Mommy and I had a meeting with the nurse who will be taking care of us - J. is the right-hand woman to our midwife. We spent 45 minutes going over questions of weight gain, nutrition, which meds are safe, what we should look for in a prenatal vitamin... We had gone in with a bunch of questions, and by the time J. got through everything, we had none left. But it's so nice to feel that if any arise, we can call anytime and know that we'll have a nurse on the line within a few minutes.

Meanwhile, Bean seems to have inherited my love of all things salty. Mommy has been eating more olives, crackers, and pickles than ever before. (And less sugar - this is definitely partly my kid.) I made pickled broccoli stems a couple days ago, and Bean definitely approved. Then again, with all that garlic, what's not to like?

3 comments:

  1. Is it not the most empowering feeling to be able to claim that today you grew a lung, or a brain or some other vital organ?!

    If someone is being lazy and complaining about the work to do, you can always ask, "Well I made ___. And what did YOU make today?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what color Bean's new irises are, and to gaze on the lashes on those little eyelids - quarter moons on sleeping cheeks! In the meantime, I'll be working on custom diapers! Gotta admit, when I just ran from computer to announce "Bean has eyes and eyelids!!!" Pappap John said "oh, yeesh!"
    Men love, just as much... but sometimes they just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go nurses and midwives! Paula

    ReplyDelete