Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Museum with Dinosaurs



That was Asa's request the other day, so off we went to the Science Museum.

We saw Dinosaurs, we saw geckos, we saw a show at the Planetarium, we played in the Discovery Center, we checked out the gift shop.  For most of it, Asa was good, if slightly whiny - which was to be expected, as naptimes have become less frequent while not being a lot less necessary.

But it wasn't until we started to leave that all hell broke loose.

We were halfway up the stairs to the parking garage when Asa realized we were actually leaving.  The temper tantrum that ensued was more intense than any I've witnessed from him; I'm sure the dogs around the museum are still talking about the frequencies that they alone heard that day.  We wrestled him into his car seat, and the decibels increased.  I started the car, and they increased again.  I backed out of the parking space, and for just about the first time, M. and I broke the cardinal rule of parenting by laughing uncontrollably.  But, really, could you keep your composure upon hearing, from the backseat:

"YOU TURN THIS CAR AROUND THIS INSTANT!"

See?  You laughed too, didn't you?

What is it about dinosaurs, that can inspire such adoration?

4 comments:

  1. I laughed... and I'd already laughed, hearing the story on the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did... And at a minute I needed it.. Thanks!!!! Yes there are so many great things about kids controlling language, but mark my word... There are times you just wished they'd go back to that 10 month state... but it is wonderful...
    Good luck with it all, "patience" as the French mothers say, and much more to come (of it all, but tantrums disappear pretty quickly...) Much love from West, and tell him that there is a great dino museum in LA... just a hint...

    ReplyDelete
  3. heheeh. Yes. James remarked that this reminded him of our dinner out with you after the mini rehearsal.

    "Put that back, right now"

    (for context, dear readers, Uncle James was sneaking a smiley face french fry off of Asa's plate to see if he'd notice and Asa was having none of it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall saying, when "Mummy" was a tiny tot, that parents spend the first 18 months waiting for the child to talk... and the next 18 years waiting for the child to shut up!

    ReplyDelete