Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Nicknames

From time to time, I've taken to calling my son Lucy.  Not because I really wanted a daughter, or some such thing - how could I not be content with my little guy?  Not because that would have been his name if he had been a girl.  No, I call him Lucy when he is crabby, inconsolable, and generally a... fuss-budget.

And we'll hope that the resemblance stops with the teething pain.

His other, much more frequent nickname?  It also has to do with teething, and one of the major (in Asa's case) side effects: a runny nose.  A perennially runny nose.  A nasty, slimy, crusty, boogery nose.  So Asa is often simply called "Goober".  In all affection, of course.  (I'll spare you the photo.)

On a side note, we learned recently that as infant teeth push through the last bit of the gums, the body releases histamines, which is what causes the runny nose, the pulling on the ears, the post-nasal drip and resultant cough.  When we learned that, almost three weeks ago, we were so excited that he might actually cut a tooth soon.  Ah, hope springs eternal, but nothing yet.

And, since I know you all prefer pictures to chat:

Chewing on Auntie Juana.

Waking Kayla on Easter morning, in his "I-look-like-Grampa" outfit.

Hanging out with Uncle Jeremie and Uncle James (and Sheepie).


Having his picture taken as a Sloth Bear at the zoo - with a little help from Mummy.

Cute little Goober, isn't he?

3 comments:

  1. Need you ask? Cute?...even with a runny nose, he's cute! Do you remember when Donnie had a "looks like Grampa" outfit? He was bigger... walking...but still had quite a tummy beneath his blue oxford buttondown! I've got that pic, I think...shall we do a comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Goober indeed! And if he's anything like my boys, all that post-nasal drip into the belly also causes runny diapers. Messy Goober!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob's nickname was Goober when he was a kid. I could never figure out where his parents came up with that, but now I think we have an answer!

    ReplyDelete