Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Feeding Himself

Okay, so usually I put a bib on him.  An industrial-sized, sleeved bib.  But he decided today that he wasn't going to eat more than two bites at a sitting.  Earlier in the day I was turning myself inside-out, using all of my painfully-acquired mothering tricks to get him to eat maybe 10 bites.  This from the boy who usually devours two bowlfuls of food at a sitting before asking for more.  Was he going to starve?  No.  Was I completely perplexed?  Yes.

This pattern continued for most of the day.  I'd get him all ready - in his seat and bibbed - and he'd eat two or three bites before losing interest.

Now, usually, Asa is a neat eater.  At worst, he'll sneeze with a mouthful of zucchini... but usually the industrial bib is somewhat superfluous, a holdover from the days of fingers being as interesting as dinner.  So finally, I gave up.  For the two bites that he was going to eat, I figured, why bother with a bib?

Asa: 1.  Mummy: 0.

Wouldn't you know that he'd decide it was time to take things into his own hands?

Of course, the moment I turned on the camera, he stopped - the one above was the last of about a dozen grabbings-of-the-spoon.

Results?



Then he rubbed his eyes.  (Look closely at his right eyebrow.)

Other result: one happy baby, one proud mummy.  Oh, and one mid-afternoon bath.

2 comments:

  1. And a larger laundry pile!

    Way to go, Asa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is when you will wish you had a dog!!!

    ReplyDelete