One of the more unexpected twists on this pregnancy: a gestational diabetes diagnosis.
Turns out, the little bean's creation is counter to my insulin's ability to process sugars, so Mommy is now quickly getting over her fear of needles. In the last 2 weeks, I've been stuck at least 5 times for glucose blood draws by nurses, and now have to inflict the quick (and ALMOST painless) sting of the glucometer lancet on my fingers four times a day.
This diagnosis happens more than I'd thought - about 1 in 15 mamas-to-be become temporarily diabetic with their little ones. So, here's what I've learned:
1. I will never underestimate the courage of my Type 1 diabetic kids, ever.
2. Plain, lowfat yogurt with fresh summer blueberries is almost as amazing as ice cream. Almost.
3. Animal crackers are good blood sugar stabilizers in hypoglycemic moments.
4. Low-carb can be delicious, especially when there's a grill involved, and cheeses!
We're at 30 weeks now, the home stretch - I can still see my feet, but have to straddle a chair to lace up my sneakers. The baby kicks, rolls, pats, and flutters all the time now. It especially moves to music and the sound of our voices after dinner. Often, you can visibly see the kicking from across the room, if you're paying close attention.
It's awesome, really, glucometer and all. :)
No one who knows you will ever underestimate your courage either, darlin'... or your grace under pressure. Uncle Rick has always touted Vanilla Wafers as a great quick stabilizer, but they don't come in as cute a container. I guess 'nillas never made a hit at the circus!
ReplyDeleteOh mama, you are SUCH a trooper - wow!
ReplyDelete