Sunday, June 21, 2009

Best Aunties Ever!!

Auntie Jen and Auntie Sarah threw us an amazing baby shower in our backyard this weekend. WOW. We left early Saturday morning, and returned to... fabulousness.

The table where folks could make nametags (very creative, diaper-shaped nametags!), write out some advice for the new moms, and address thank-you-note envelopes.

The backyard itself, with the tent that kept it from raining at all. Seriously, it was the first sunny day in this area since... um... graduation.

And a very securely put-up tent it was!

There was also a tent over the food table... Auntie Jen seemed to have gotten a little carried away, however. It's a tent-raising, not a tent-revival. (Can we get an Amen?)
The gift-opening... with its concurrent and ever-deepening amazement at the generosity of our family, friends and neighbors. We may eventually pick our jaws up from the floor.

The two master-planner Aunties, always seeing to the details.

I have to say, one of the highlights for me was putting so many wonderful people, from so many facets of our lives, in one place. Baby showers are a place for common ground, for coming together in the mutual love of a little person... and, sometimes, for playing the keychain recording of the 2004 game seven ALCS Red Sox victory to a Yankee fan.
Oh, and practicing is always fun. May the Bean be as sweet-tempered as this little angel.

At the end of the day, the Aunties, along with Uncle Sam and Grandma and Poppy had brought everything inside, cleaned up the backyard, cleaned up the kitchen... we have never in our lives been so spoiled! Or so overwhelmed by how very lucky we are to have such people in our lives.

So very overwhelmed.
Thank you, thank you, a million times over and then some. If repetition helps at all, Bean's first words are going to be: "We are so lucky." And Bean will be right.

8 comments:

  1. Awwww! You guys are so sweet! Jen and I (and silent partner, Sam) enjoyed putting the day together for you! I'm glad everyone had a good time (with no rain).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate- I just want you to know there are shower gifts for you going into the mail this week! It was such a great day and it went flawlessly. I was graced to be involved! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had such a great time spending the day with you and everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day you had! Rob and I had a wonderful special day of our own on the Cape. You will be happy to know that there, we too, put up an extra tent in case of rain, which never came! How blessed we all were with beautiful weather. :) Thank you for working your "minister magic" for us. I can't wait to trade stories with you sometime soon. Sorry I missed the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And congratulations to you, Mrs. Cassa! Can't wait to see pictures and hear how everything went!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures say so much... and others which have been sent to me say even more. Everyone is so happy and excited about our Bean. I loved seeing the pictures of dear friends and family... Mommy and Mummy, our co-grandparents... and my two extra daughters, Jen and Sarah, the beloved Aunties. (yeah, you too, Sam!)
    Yay... great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was just re-reading, just for fun... and realized, that should Bean be a boy, he'll be a real live nephew of his Uncle Sam.... have you considered "George M. Cohan Buchakjian-Tweedy"???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you'll need TWO scrabble sets for that one, Kate!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete