Yesterday was the baccalaureate service at Memorial Church. Lovely service, really, and completely true to Harvard Divinity School. Multicultural, multi-religious, multi-lingual... it was great.
Greatest of all? Hanging out with friends afterwards, of course.
Robes only, no hoods or caps, since the actual graduation would be the following day.
Look at the bump!
Introducting friends to family was pretty great, too:
There were plenty more friends and family, but I don't have pics yet - my camera didn't actually see much action these past couple of days. More to come, soon!
As for today, when I didn't have my camera at all (again, more to come), suffice to say that it was.... A LOT OF PEOPLE.
Morning exercises, sitting with my classmates. Yes, we wore pipe-cleaner halos. Or horns. Depended on preference. This is looking up towards the dais, where faculty and distinguished guests were, um... milling.
Afternoon Exercises:
That little speck in yellow? The President of Harvard University. At this point graduates don't get preferred seating. From where M. and I were sitting, the following is pretty much what we saw - some faraway people-like specks and jumbotron images that don't photograph well.

Our current Secretary of Energy is far cuter than this picture implies.
Today was long, beginning with a 5am wake-up call, but it was lovely - it became warm and sunny as we sat in Harvard Yard (not as much fun as it sounds, considering the yards of black polyester and velvet we were wearing), and since Wynton Marsalis was awarded an honorary Doctor of Music, we got to hear renditions of "America the Beautiful" and, for a benediction, "When the Saints Go Marching In". Phenomenal. And now it's 7pm, which I'm pretty sure makes it bedtime.
Pictures are wonderful - nearly as good as being there, with no need for a porta-potty! Keep the pictures coming! We love you, and we're so proud.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, sister M.Div. lady! I'm truly happy for you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Liza!! I'm SO impressed, and SO proud of you!! Can't wait to see you and Marcey, who looks just great!! Love you both! Aunt Ann
ReplyDeleteFélicitations! What a wonderful moment. Very proud of you!
ReplyDeleteYay graduation!!!! Welcome to the post-HDS world.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Eliza!!! I must say that on Wednesday night you looked so AT HOME in your new profession. You looked confident, happy, at peace, and happy. Did I mention happy? Congratulations!!
ReplyDelete