Sunday, November 1, 2009

Full Circle

Taking a moment out of the baby stories to give a shout-out to the moving ministry of my childhood church.  Yes, that's moving - the physical act of filling and unloading a van full of boxes and furniture - as a ministry of the church.  It's actually a lot of fun - I think I've been helping on and off since I was about 5.

On one of the first moves in which I participated, we moved a church member out of a second-and-third-story apartment in a Victorian house.  It was a particularly memorable move because the stairs were so narrow and twisty that we had to remove a second-story window to get the sleeper-sofa out.  As you can likely imagine, that move has become legendary - if not modern mythology - among the movers.

Yesterday, over 25 years later, we moved a different church member back into the very same apartment.  Fortunately, she didn't even try to move her couch in... but she did try for her box spring and large dresser.  Good thing it was a nice day, because the window came back out.

Shout-out to the SACC movers!

Three members of the brain-trust...


Window out, preparing the ropes:


Box spring:


An extra ladder for the (heavier) bureau:


The point at which most of us on the ground cringed - two men on one ladder, one on the other, and two hoisting from the top.


So... who needs movers?

No comments:

Post a Comment